Longitude is a thought leadership specialist that is majority owned by the Financial Times Group. Longitude’s product offering spans three areas: Advisory, a set of services that helps clients to plan and execute effective and differentiated thought leadership campaigns; Research, which encompasses surveys, interview programmes, data modelling and desk research; and Content, which covers multi-format thought leadership campaigns, spanning reports, articles, opinion pieces, visual and interactive content.
We believe that working at Longitude is more than just a job. We work hard to build and maintain a strong, engaging culture that motivates and inspires our team to do great work, learn new things and develop their careers.
• Put quality at the heart of everything we do
• Meet our clients’ objectives every time
• Collaborate and support each other to achieve better outcomes
• Be transparent and open with each other
• Embrace and drive positive change
• Think commercially at all times
• Be proactive and creative
Overview of the role and key requirements:
Longitude is hiring an information designer to bring a new dimension to our thought leadership research and content output. This is a new role that will appeal to anyone with strong data-led design and visualisation skills. The person in question would collaborate closely with other colleagues in editorial and research, to help visualise research and content outputs in compelling and thought-provoking ways—for both digital and print outputs.
The primary focus of this role would be to:
• First and foremost, take direct responsibility for bringing our data and research findings to life in a range of visually compelling ways, as our lead designer.
• Be responsible for overseeing and delivering our portfolio of design-related products, including infographics, digital data visualisation, and other design treatments, spanning a range of media and channels.
• Help identify and add new information design-led offerings to our product roster, as we seek to scale up this side of the business. This will be an important contribution to developing our design offerings into an important profit centre for the business.
• Developing and maintaining data visualisation templates and materials, as we build up a library of visual assets.
• Develop a strong network of freelance design specialists, to help provide specialist design and digital inputs, and to provide cover when we need additional capacity.
This role is expected to liaise closely with another new data science position, along with our existing research and editorial teams. We envisage building this out into a specialist information design team over time, if we gain traction around these offerings. There would also be opportunity to meet and collaborate with the FT’s leading design experts.
Your key skills and experience:
• Expertise in designing accurate and engaging data visualisations that organise statistics, research and other information into a cohesive story for a variety of media and channels.
• Ideally 3-5 years of relevant experience in information design and data visualisation.
• Comfortable with data, and spotting patterns/story within statistics. Able to distil complex themes into easy to understand concepts that go beyond traditional, linear infographics.
• Expertise on relevant data tools and software (eg, Adobe Creative Suite, online charting tools, such as Infogram, and other similar applications).
• Excellent communication skills, especially around capturing and communicating a brief. Experience with commissioning other designers/developers beneficial.
• Comfortable working independently, and delivering high quality outcomes with minimal oversight.
• Ability to work closely with commercial, research and editorial colleagues in defining, refining and articulating analytics product set – and responding creatively to client briefs.
• Comfortable in client-facing roles, within a fast-paced agency environment.
• An interest in current affairs, especially in terms of topical B2B business issues.
Please note – Due to the expected volume of applicants we may not be able to send you a personal response but only communicate with you if your application is successful.