Experienced Business Development Director
Longitude, the leader in thought leadership and research, is looking to recruit a skilled, highly experienced and dedicated Business Development Manager to join its dynamic, fast-growing team.
Overview of the role
Reporting to our Commercial Director of Technology and Industrials Practices, you will use your proven ability in business development skills, tenacity and drive to help manage and grow new relationships with key-buyers of thought leadership across the global technology practice, and will please a key role in helping drive the next phase of our global growth. Bring that ‘black book’ of contact to drive that forward!
What you will be responsible for in this role:
Sales & Territory Management
• Implementing the sales strategy with a focus on generating new logo business across the technology sector (revenue from £500m+ upwards, typically our
clients have revenues £1bn+).
• Identifying priority companies to target and prospective customers within these organizations.
• Developing relationships and driving new business within the assigned sales territory.
• Managing the entire sales process for any given sales opportunity including but not limited to; contacting prospects, pitching our proposition, arranging
meetings, writing proposals, negotiating fees and drawing up contracts.
• Collaborating with sales colleagues across the Financial Times Group to identify opportunities to sell integrated solutions.
• Use the CRM system to track progress and manage prospects and opportunities effectively.
• Providing accurate sales forecasts on a regular and timely basis.
• Meeting or exceeding sales KPIs and revenue targets.
Project Management & Internal Collaboration
• Collaborating with the rest of the team to ensure effective account management and client liaison—and helping ensure positive client feedback on projects,
and thus repeat sales.
• Creating proposals, in collaboration with the editorial team, and pricing projects.
• Giving input on the development of our products and services, the pricing of our offering, marketing efforts, and other elements related to driving the
growth of the business.
We will schedule regular time to provide feedback on how the role is going, and to revisit objectives for each quarter.
Do you enjoy working in a fast-moving, dynamic agency environment and be comfortable handling a variety of clients, projects and topics? Do you excel at building rapport with top executives, typically senior marketing professionals at leading B2B organisations? If so, this role would be perfect for you! Having someone who has a hungry approach to opening up new and profitable relationships would be ideal.
The ideal candidate must have and be able to demonstrate a proven track-record of opening new business relationships with large technology companies globally (revenue from £500m+ upwards, typically our clients have revenues £1bn+).
The role requires building rapport up to C-level and have the ability to communicate Longitude’s offering quickly and effectively to senior influencers and key decision makers to identify and grow our business with some of the World’s biggest technology companies.
Outreach methods, including outbound-calling, face-to-face meetings and social settings are key parts of the role so having that proven track record is key.
The skills you will need to be successful in this role:
• Be a hunter – enjoy seeking out and qualifying new business opportunities around the World (enjoy the process of finding new business, not just the end
• Have a minimum of 4 years sales experience with a proven track record of selling solutions to senior marketing & communication executives at large B2B
organizations. Ideally with experience of content, research and/or media services.
• Feel comfortable calling and meeting with senior executives in large organizations.
• Have strong consultative sales skills, combining an excellent approach to needs discovery and building rapport quickly.
• An understanding of research methodologies and editorial processes.
• Demonstrate an awareness and understanding of the changing B2B media & publishing landscape.
• Expert ability in scheduling meetings and calls with qualified prospects
• Proficient in presenting over web-based platforms (Google Hangout or equivalent)
• Experience working with Salesforce.com or similar CRM
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills
• Strong listening and presentation skills
• Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and manage time effectively
• BA/BS degree or equivalent
The ideal candidate will have:
• Demonstrable experience of new business development with tech clients purchasing thought leadership and/or equivalent types of content
• Confidence to identify, call and arrange meetings with senior marketing executives up to c-suite in large B2B organisations to pitch the Longitude value
proposition and discuss their needs
• Proven track record of contributing personally to arranging meetings and/or scheduled calls leading to substantial revenue growth
• Confidence to lead and present our solutions and ideas to executives in pitches and meetings
• Experience in a relevant area such as thought leadership, content marketing or B2B publishing
• A strong ideas person, with the ability to think creatively and innovatively
• Excellent organisational skills and a meticulous approach to project management
• An awareness of the changing B2B marketing landscape and the growing role that thought leadership content plays within this
Key performance metrics:
• Ability to build strong, profitable relationships with our clients
• Generating meetings and/or scheduled calls with senior executives that meet qualification criteria
• Building a pipeline of opportunities and introducing senior sales team at the right time
• Client satisfaction based on your work, including the ability to respond positively to client feedback
• Taking the initiative by identifying and tackling tasks where you can materially assist the business
Please note – Due to the expected volume of applicants we may not be able to send you a personal response but only communicate with you if your application is successful.