Business Development Manager (Professional Services), US
Longitude is a specialist agency that delivers research, content and thought leadership campaigns to a wide range of blue-chip corporate clients. Longitude has enjoyed successive year-on-year growth since it’s founding in 2011 and in February 2018 we were acquired by the Financial Times, although we operate as a subsidiary.
We are now recruiting an experienced Business Development Manager to help further drive our growth in the professional services sector.
Reporting to the Commercial Director, Professional Services Practice (based in London) and the SVP, Americas (based in New York), you will enjoy working in a fast-moving, dynamic environment. You will have experience in selling complex services or solutions to senior decision makers in professional services organizations.
You’ll combine excellent client-facing skills with a strong grasp of how B2B companies use thought leadership research and content to achieve their marketing objectives.
You will help identify priority companies to target, develop relationships with senior marketing & communications executives, identify sales opportunities and manage the sales process from start to finish. This may from time-to-time require business travel within North America to meet with clients and prospects.
On our side, you’ll be supported by editorial, research, project management and marketing teams, a compelling set of products and services, and a highly competitive salary, attractive commission scheme and benefits package.
Desired Skills & Experience
The ideal candidate will:
• Be a hunter – enjoy seeking out and qualifying new business opportunities.
• Have a minimum of 4 years sales experience with a proven track record of selling solutions to senior marketing & communication executives at large professional services organizations. Ideally with experience of content, research and/or media services.
• Feel comfortable calling and meeting with senior executives in large organizations.
• Have strong consultative sales skills, combining an excellent approach to needs discovery and building rapport quickly.
• Have a strong network of client contacts and influencers within professional services.
• An understanding of research methodologies and editorial processes.
• Demonstrate an awareness and understanding of the changing B2B media & publishing landscape.
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and in writing
• A strong ideas person, with the ability to think creatively and innovatively
• Excellent organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail
• Resilience and a laser-focus on key priorities
This encompasses the following points, although not necessarily limited to these:
Sales & Territory Management
• Implementing the sales strategy.
• Identifying priority companies to target and prospective customers within these organizations.
• Developing relationships and driving new business within the assigned sales territory.
• Managing the entire sales process for any given sales opportunity including but not limited to; contacting prospects, pitching our proposition, arranging meetings, writing proposals, negotiating fees and drawing up contracts.
• Collaborating with sales colleagues across the Financial Times Group to identify opportunities to sell integrated solutions.
• Use the CRM system to track progress and manage prospects and opportunities effectively.
• Providing accurate sales forecasts on a regular and timely basis.
• Meeting or exceeding sales KPIs and revenue targets.
Project Management & Internal Collaboration
• Collaborating with the rest of the team to ensure effective account management and client liaison—and helping ensure positive client feedback on projects, and thus repeat sales.
• Creating proposals, in collaboration with the editorial team, and pricing projects.
• Giving input on the development of our products and services, the pricing of our offering, marketing efforts, and other elements related to driving the growth of the business.
Key performance metrics
• Ability to build strong, profitable relationships with new logo clients
• Proactive discovery of new leads and opportunities
• Originating and building a strong pipeline of deals with speed
• Demonstrating the ability to develop creative solutions to client needs
• Ensuring deadlines are met
• Taking the initiative by identifying and tackling tasks where you can materially assist the business
We will schedule regular time to provide feedback on how the role is going and to revisit objectives for each quarter.
Please note – Due to the expected volume of applicants we may not be able to send you a personal response but only communicate with you if your application is successful.