Business Development Manager, Industrials Sector (US)
Longitude is a specialist agency that delivers research, content and thought leadership campaigns to a wide range of blue-chip corporate clients. Longitude has enjoyed successive year-on-year growth since it’s foundation in 2011 and in February 2018 we were acquired by the Financial Times, although we operate as a subsidiary.
We are now recruiting an experienced Business Development Manager to help further drive our growth in the industrials sector globally.
Reporting to the SVP, Americas and based in the Financial Times’ New York offices, you will enjoy working in a fast-moving, dynamic environment. You will have experience of selling complex services and solutions to senior decision makers in companies from across some or all of the following sectors:
• Infrastructure, construction & engineering
• Industrial chemicals
• Energy & utilities
• Mining & natural resources
• Supply Chain & logistics
• Aerospace & defence
You’ll combine excellent client-facing skills with a strong grasp of how B2B companies use thought leadership research and content to achieve their marketing objectives.
You will help identify priority companies to target, develop relationships with senior marketing & communications executives, identify sales opportunities and manage the sales process from start to finish. This may from time-to-time require business travel within North America and Europe to meet with clients and prospects.
On our side, you’ll be supported by editorial, research, project management and marketing teams, a compelling set of products and services, and a highly competitive salary, attractive commission scheme and benefits package.
Desired Skills & Experience
The ideal candidate will:
• Be a hunter – enjoy seeking out and qualifying new business opportunities.
• Have a minimum of 4 years sales experience with a proven track record of selling
solutions to senior marketing & communication executives at large B2B organisations.
Ideally with experience of content, research and/or media services.
• Feel comfortable calling and meeting with senior executives in large organisations.
• Have strong consultative sales skills, combining an excellent approach to needs discovery
and building rapport quickly.
• Have a strong network of client contacts and influencers within the technology and
• An understanding of research methodologies and editorial processes.
• Demonstrate an awareness and understanding of the changing B2B media & publishing
This encompasses the following points, although not necessarily limited to these:
Sales & Territory Management
• Implementing the sales strategy.
• Identifying priority companies to target and prospective customers within these
• Developing relationships and driving new business within the assigned sales territory.
• Managing the entire sales process for any given sales opportunity including but not
limited to; contacting prospects, pitching our proposition, arranging meetings, writing
proposals, negotiating fees and drawing up contracts.
• Collaborating with sales colleagues across the Financial Times Group to identify
opportunities to sell integrated solutions.
• Use the CRM system to track progress and manage prospects and opportunities effectively.
• Providing accurate sales forecasts on a regular and timely basis.
• Meeting or exceeding sales KPIs and revenue targets.
Project Management & Internal Collaboration
• Collaborating with the rest of the team to ensure effective account management and client
liaison—and helping ensure positive client feedback on projects, and thus repeat sales.
• Creating proposals, in collaboration with the editorial team, and pricing projects.
• Giving input on the development of our products and services, the pricing of our
offering, marketing efforts, and other elements related to driving the growth of the
We will schedule regular time to provide feedback on progress as well as to revisit objectives for each quarter.
Please note – Due to the expected volume of applicants we may not be able to send you a personal response but only communicate with you if your application is successful.